Seeing a College of Science Academic Advisor
College of Science Students are assigned to an advisor in their major/discipline who will be their guide and mentor and who will assist them in:
• Understanding the value and impact of the academic advising relationship on their overall success and ability to navigate and take full advantage of their university experience.
• Identifiying academic, personal and career aspirations that set the foundation for a successful undergraduate experience and future graduate and/or professional life.
• Developing a four-year plan of study that meets their curriculuar, co-curricular and extracurricular goals.
• Identifying campus and community resources that support personal well-being, academic success and the development of professional skills.
• Developing realistic semester-by-semester course plans that support high academic performance and on-time degree progression.
• Understanding University and College policies and how they mold and impact their university experience.
Students are encouraged to contact their advisors frequently throughout their time in the College of Science. Contact information may be found at CoS Advising Offices.
Making an appointment with your advisor
Students are invited to schedule 30-minute appointments with their assigned advisors:
• To register for Fall/Spring/Summer semesters
• For in-depth advising questions
• For academic/degree planning, graduate/professional school planning and career development
• To discuss and receive support in addressing personal and academic challenges
• For general questions and concerns
Students must be on time for scheduled appointments. If you arrive later than 5 minutes after your appointment start time, your advisor may ask you to reschedule.
Working with your Advisor during Walk-in hours
Students are encouraged to use advisor Walk-in times to:
• Drop/add courses
• Resolve conflicts in schedule
• Complete paperwork
• Ask time-sensitive questions
• Are designed for quick questions and therefore are held to 15 minutes per visit.
• Are scheduled on a first come, first served basis and therefore, students are not guartenteed to see their advisor during scheduled walk-in times if the number of students to be seen is greater than the time that has been scheduled.
• Should be used when a student has time during and after the walk-in period as signing up to see an advisor during walk-ins often involves a wait period.
• Students should only use the walk-in times of their assigned advisor unless their advisor is unavailable and there is an immediate, time-sensitive matter.
Before visiting your advising office for a walk-in appointment, check walk-in times. Times are updated the Friday before the following week. Note: walk-in times ARE subject to change without notice.
Students wanting to CODO or minor in COS
There are specific times designated for each COS program which may be found on the Non-College of Science Walk-in Schedule. Before you come to speak with an advisor about a CODO, please review the College of Science CODO requirements and directions for your intended program.