College of Science
- Biological Sciences
The Department of Biological Sciences is a popular launching point to jobs and post-graduate studies. Biological Sciences has the highest percentage of female students in the College of Science.
- Bio Prof. Michael Rossmann finds clues to functions of mysterious 'mimivirus.'
- Bio helping lead new Pillars of Excellence in the Life Sciences $60 million initiative.
Chemistry is a rapidly changing science. The strong commitment to research excellence at Purdue results in a faculty who are at the leading edge of this change and constantly revise their courses to keep up with the latest advances in our understanding of chemistry.
- Computer Science
Computer Science at Purdue is one of the most historic and best CS programs in the nation. The CS department is centered in the new, state of the art Lawson Computer Science Building where robots and Android apps are programmed by freshman year.
- Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
In the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, students research and explore why weather happens and how to predict it. This diverse major also includes paleontology and the study of earthquakes and plate tectonics. Natural disasters are explained and fossils are put under the microscope.
The Department of Mathematics is a vibrant center of research and education in mathematics. The undergraduate program includes a variety of concentrations, from pure math to actuarial science, while the graduate program promotes the highest level of research. Purdue Math graduates have followed a wide variety of paths, including successful careers in business and law, mathematical finance on Wall Street, software engineering, research at national laboratories, and in the highest levels of academia.
- Math alumnus receives world attention for prime number theory work.
- Mathematics becomes new home for National Alliance for Doctoral Studies in the Mathematical Sciences.
- Physics and Astronomy
The recent discovery of the Higgs boson had some major assistance from the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Purdue. This major discovery has brought momentum to the field as well as the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Purdue, where students can make their own discoveries in astrophysics, high energy physics, geophysics, nanophysics, nuclear physics, sensor technology, biophysics and more.
Purdue's Department of Statistics ranks as one of the largest statistics programs in the nation. In the past five years, the department's student population more than doubled.
News & Events
- June 20, 2016 Physics professor gets good timing from worm cells
- June 1, 2016 Planetary Science team reveals new findings regarding Plutonian surface
- May 4, 2016 Chem Prof. Ji-Xin Cheng's heart disease drug could also treat pancriatic cancer
- April 14, 2016 Statistics professor named American Council on Teaching fellow
- April 1, 2016 Near 300 media outlets worldwide report Purdue Bio's Zika virus research
- April 1, 2016 CS young alumna excelling at Clarity Partners, named Purdue alumna of the month
- March 23, 2016 Chem Prof. Shelley Claridge wins Exceptional Early Career Award for teaching
- March 9, 2016 EAPS Prof. Dev Niyogi makes forecasting breakthrough for cyclones in India
- March 3, 2016 Computer Science announces new master's degree in information security
- March 1, 2016 Purdue Chemistry is fashionable in issue of 'Allure'
- Feb. 29, 2016 Math faculty work hard to introduce new online platform, save students money