College of Science STAR Tasks
The following tasks must be completed before your STAR day. It is highly recommended that you complete these tasks at least 10 days before your STAR day.
- ALEKS - the MATH Placement Exam. ALEKS may also be accessed from your MyPurdue page. All incoming students, newly admitted students, and transfer students MUST take the ALEKS assessment regardless of calculus background or AP scores. ALEKS should be taken at least 2 days before your STAR day.
- Student Information Form (SIF) - this form can be accessed from your MyPurdue page. The SIF should be completed at least 3 days before your STAR day.
- Computer Science Readiness Test (for Computer Science Majors only)
- Please read and complete all additional steps included in "Preparing for Your STAR Visit"
Important Notice regarding ALEKS:
Take this placement exam seriously. It will determine your math course for the fall and will have an impact on the science courses you will be eligible to take. Students may take the exam up to five times. ALEKS contains a tutorial program to assist students in preparing to take the test after the first attempt. Once you enter the tutorial you will have six weeks of access to it. More information about the ALEKS can be found here.
Students in the College of Science typically take MA16100/16500 or MA 10610 in their first semester. Minimum qualifying scores for these courses are as follows:
- MA16100/16500: 85
- MA 16010 (Biology majors): 75
Your ALEKS score can also have an effect on your ability to register for other science courses [not just calculus] such as Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Some of these courses have a minimum ALEKS score for enrollment.
International Students: You should already have received a link and information about the VSTAR program.